Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Between Courses, A Student Showcase Sorbet

As Culinary Arts week continues, we'd like to take a moment to cleanse the palette with a touch of Student Showcase sorbet, as it were.


Teacher Kate has been working hard with the students of her class in the development of their writing skills by exploring metaphors and similes.  Last week, she asked the students to use descriptive phrases and figurative language to describe their favorite season in their home country.  One of her students, Ellie, from Russia, used personification to paint a picture of the "positive and negative characteristics of autumn, just as if the season were a real friend," Kate says.  
May we present our resident writer, hailing all the way from Russia... Ellie!!
We asked Ellie if she'd be okay with us showcasing her work here on the AELP blog in the midst of our Culinary Arts week.  Ellie said she'd be honored.  Our response?  We're honored.


Miss Fall Story
by Ellie
I want to tell you about my friend, Miss Fall.  She comes to visit me every year and stays for 3 months.  I look forward to it, and like a child, check my calendar every day, hoping she will arrive soon.  She's a very beautiful middle-aged lady, very elegant, and also all of her movements are graceful and effortless.  Moreover, this woman has a good education and it's interesting to talk to her.   
There is one curious fact about her: she's very moody.  Sometimes she is so delighted, her eyes shine like the sun in a blue sky.  Her fabulous clothes are very colorful: green, red, orange, brown, yellow.  Her smile is incredibly bright.  Some days, she looks dreary and depressed.  She can sit in the garden and cry all days long without any pause. 
Children don't really like her, they love our neighbor Miss Summer, who makes for them fresh fruit and ice cream.  The kids enjoy playing in a green field near her pretty house.  However, I'm the opposite and I spend wonderful time with Miss Fall: we drink hot chocolate, while we sit on the cozy sofas and watch the fire.  We talk a lot and I often ask my friends to come and join us. 
When the time comes, Miss Fall leaves, but I am sure she'll come next season.  

Thank you so much, Ellie, for allowing us to share your wonderful story and thank you, Kate, for creating a classroom environment that supports this level of creativity for students of a foreign language.  Well done!


1 comment:

  1. The first time I read this post on Ellie's personal blog, it brought tears to my eyes. Ellie is a passionate student who turns every piece of writing into a true work of art. It has been my absolute pleasure to have her in class this summer. I'm happy to say that now, having read this post countless times over, I am no less impressed by it.

    ReplyDelete